Enrollment Prerequisites for Boeing and Airbus Type Ratings
A trainee and/or type rating candidate must hold at least one of the following pilot qualifications:
Prerequisites for Enrollment
In general, the following prerequisites apply to FTI type rating courses. Contact FTI for full details
Type Rating – Initial Qualification
In order to add a type rating to an existing FAA Commercial certificate or to a new or existing FAA ATP certificate a trainee must submit documentary evidence to show at least one of the following acceptable pilot qualifications:
- An FAA commercial pilot certificate with instrument privileges
- A commercial or ATP certificate (without limitation) issued by an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) country, or
- Meet the military experience requirements under Sec. 61.73 to qualify for a commercial pilot certificate, and an instrument rating if the person is a rated military pilot or former rated military pilot of an Armed Force of the United States.
Prerequisites For Unrestricted Certificate in a Full Flight Simulator – Initial Qualification (61.64):
In order to conduct type rating training in a full flight simulator and then receive a certificate with no limitations the applicant must satisfy one of the following:
- Hold a type rating in a turbojet airplane of the same class of airplane, and that type rating may not contain a supervised operating experience limitation;
- Have 1,000 hours of flight time in two different turbojet airplanes of the same class of airplane;
- Have been appointed by the U.S. Armed Forces as pilot in command in a turbojet airplane of the same class of airplane;
- Have 500 hours of flight time in the same type of airplane; or
- Have logged at least 2,000 hours of flight time, of which 500 hours were in turbine-powered airplanes of the same class of airplane for which the type rating is sought.
If the applicant does not meet one of the requirements of the paragraph above, then:
- The applicant’s pilot certificate will be issued with a limitation that states: “The (type-model) ATP Type Rating is subject to additional pilot in command limitations, and the applicant is restricted from serving as pilot in command in the (type-model).”
- The limitation described above may be removed from the applicant’s pilot certificate once the pilot completes 25 hours of supervised operating experience as described in FAR 61.64 1.4.iii.